D3x review is here!

Started Feb 19, 2009 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659
Re: Absolutely Matt . .

Mel wrote:

But if you seek
the highest quality available with the "stunning" capability
described and really shown several times now. The D3X has no equal.
This camera is the only choice.

You might want to look for my post over on the Canon 1D forum. I'll probably write an article centered on that eventually. But here's my thinking:

Imagine a large circle. Imagine further that we divide that circle into smaller and smaller concentric rings. Now we start dumping DSLR photographers into our circle. The qualifications for each smaller inner ring rise in terms of understanding and recognizing image quality. For example, if you can't tell (or don't care about) the visible difference between a 2mp camera phone and a 24mp D3x photo at, say, 8x10, then you're stuck in the outermost ring until you can (or do).

The rings have been getting smaller and smaller, both literally, and in the differences you need to recognize to move between them. The difference between those that belong in the innermost ring (D3x if we all agree that the D3x is the best quality DSLR) and the next outer ring (for the sake of my argument, we'll call this the 1DsIII/5DII/A900 ring). Now here's the thing: if the qualification for the innermost ring was that you distinguish between the cameras I just mentioned in a 24x36" print done optimally from each, how many of you REALLY think you qualify for that inner ring? And what do you think it is that you'd see that gets you into the inner ring?

As a strawman, I would argue that 99%, maybe more, currently can't get to the inner ring. Moreover, when you consider that, oh, the innermost three rings are very close in lots of ways and that there's a huge price penalty for moving inwards, your "this camera is the only choice" statement starts to fray quite a bit, IMHO, even with the qualifiers you had before it.

Beyond just being to see the difference in rings, there's also the issue of being able to put those differences into reality in the field (i.e. shot discipline) and post processing.

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
FTW
Mel
NRJ
NRJ
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Rob
Mel
Mel
Mel
FTW
FTW
FTW
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow