AVCHD 720p/60 a problem?

Started Feb 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
LizaWitz Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: AVCHD 720p/60 a problem?

muley88 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, the TZ7 and others using AVCHD are capturing 60
frames per second.

AVCHD is a poor format for cameras that store on SD cards and not tapes. They really should just write out MP4 files, as there's no reason to use AVCHD if you aren't making a tape based camcorder.

Anyway, when you import your footage from an AVCHD camera, generally you'll convert it to some other format on import (one of the downsides of AVCHD is that it can't be worked with natively) ... when you do this you'll give up compression but you'll end up with something easier to edit.

On a mac, generally you import it into Apple Intermediate Codec. Not sure about the workflow on PCs.

If I had this camera, I'd probably just work with the Motion JPEG files (30fps) and ignore the whole importing step.

An alternative would be to convert the AVCHD to MP4 files and thus keep the compression level, and smaller files.

On my recent mac, it has no trouble playing back such files (Which are the standard output of Xacti camcorders) as is. 720p at 60fps is not a problem. 1080p however probably would exceed the decompression rate of the machine, and thus your concern would be something to worry about.

If you've got a PC, I can't really answer for you, because there's no way to know how compromised the performance of your computer is, or how old it is.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Yem
Yem
Yem
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow