Thom 16-85VR and 18-105 DX review is up

Started Feb 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
westofwy New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Thom 16-85VR and 18-105 DX review is up

I find this discussion very interesting. I have had the 18-200 for my D80 and now D300 for two years now, and am thinking of switching to the 16-85 as my principal "walking around" lens. I have done some analysis of the focal lengths of my shooting. Having taken the 18-200 on many outings, family gatherings, architectural viewing (photographing), etc., I have found this: 85% of my shooting with the 18-200 is between 18mm and 85mm. That leaves just 15% of my shots being beyond 85mm. And, when viewing the histograms of the shooting I do in the 18mm to 85mm range, I find that it is radically skewed toward the 18mm focal length. That says to me that I would choose an even wider focal length if it was available to me. By the way, I have the 12-24 which I like and use, and I have the 70-300VR and the 70-200VR, both of which I like and use in various settings.

So, with regard to the "usefulness" of the 16-18mm range versus the 86-200mm range, it is becoming clear to me that I would very much like to have the wider range available to me more than the long, if it means a bit sharper image and less distortion. And by the way, part of the fun of analyzing one's focal length preference profile, is that you get to view a lot of fun photos. I find that the wide stuff shot with family and friends in restaurants, talking, laughing, eating colorful food, is really something valuable that the wide end of our lens selection makes available. And it's hard to be "too" wide in these settings.

Thanks to all for excellent points that have been made regarding the good old "16-85 vs. 18-200" debate.

-- hide signature --

West

 westofwy's gear list:westofwy's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon Z7 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jfk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow