Candid Street Photography

Started Feb 16, 2009 | Discussions thread
keemra Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
My own personal dilema

First of all, I want to say that I really admire the work of some street photographers who post here, especially Rundadar. I would love to be able to take pictures like he does, and even though I have lots of opportunity to practice, I can't bring myself to do so because...

I am an American female married to a Japanese and living in Japan (Tokyo at present). When I first came to Japan we lived in a small town where I was the only Caucasian. People used to chase me around the supermarket taking pictures of me. On the street, people would walk fast to pass me, then whip around, point their camera inches from my face and snap a picture. I would get so angry and disgusted at their rudeness. It made me feel like an animal in the zoo. Now when I try to do street photography, I get this flash back of how I used to feel when people took pictures of me without my permission, and I can't bring myself to do it. Fortunately I am no longer young or cute, so don't have to put up with it any more. LOL

Having said that, I do have one picture I like. The small supermarket where I shop has no parking lot for cars, but it does have a small spot for customers to park their bicycles. One day these 2 characters set up their chess board in the middle of the bicycle parking space. I figured if they were rude enough to do that, I would be rude enough to take their picture.

-- hide signature --
 keemra's gear list:keemra's gear list
Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
rfc
tko
tko
rfc
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow