5DMKII at a Basketball Game

Started Feb 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
amazestudios Regular Member • Posts: 316
5DMKII at a Basketball Game

This is my second NBA game ever. I'm no sports photographer, but I had the opportunity to take some photos of the action.

I brought the following:
5D MKII with 70-200 2.8L IS
40D 24-70 2.8L

The FPS was definitely slower! I had the Focus on AI Servo and I think I had way more keepers than my photos from my first NBA game with my 40D! Composition wise, I'm not too happy with these shots since I wasn't totally focusing on the game.

The shots below are with the 5D MKII. I think I had it on ISO 3,200 the whole time. Definitely over ISO 2,000. I think that is the primary reason why I had more keepers (my 40D shots at ISO 1,000 had more motion blur).

I'm lazy so most of these are straight out of the camera or cropped.

Tip Off:

Not very exciting, but the AF did great!

A fan yelled, "SIT DOWN" then he turned around and I snapped this shot:

Could use some color balancing here:

I hope you make it too...

The real reason why I was there (www.likha.org)

Fly!

Overall, I was pleased with the 5D MKII and the AI servo mode. Maybe the 1D MKIII would have been better (or 52AF points while we are at it), but I wouldn't know what I'm missing. I just made due with what I had. I left before the game was over so I didn't get to try for better shots.

Here are photos from my first game.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&thread=30721496

I don't think basketball photography is my "thing" but I'm always open to constructive criticism. I just love photography in general! Thanks for looking! I have learned a bit from this thread. For example, I read in another basketball related post that faces were important. I really tried to keep that in mind this time around.

-- hide signature --

Gary

amazestudios's gear list:amazestudios's gear list
Sony RX1
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow