Barred from Fort Mchenry.

Started Feb 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,354
Re: Their own website says you did nothing wrong.

You hand-carried all of your gear, right? Then you did nothing wrong according to the following from http://www.nps.gov/fomc/planyourvisit/permits.htm

A still photography permit is required when:

Product or service advertisement is involved
Talent/models, props, crews, or sets are involved
The project has the potential to disrupt other park activities or visitors
More than just hand-carried equipment is used

Project requires access to an area normally closed or restricted to general public use
Access into an area outside of normal public use hours is required
Project carries with it a potential risk to park resources

Activity raises safety concerns that can be mitigated through issuance of a permit with restrictions or conditions

I know this has already been stated in this thread, but many of the discussions have gotten beyond the simple fact that you did not need a permit if you can say no to each of the line items above. The question of whether you were selling photographs within the park is kind of ridiculous. Did you have a stack of prints for sale? Were you handing out your business card? I assume not, and it sounds like you carried in all of your equipment. The ranger is more guilty of entrapment than you are of violating any permit rules. I would contact her supervisor to politely ask for clarification... not to be confrontational, but just so you understand what is expected... and so you can return to this particular park without fear of being asked to leave. If you were in the wrong, then their own policy needs clarification so you understand how you were in the wrong. If you were in the right, then the ranger needs to be corrected by her supervisor.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow