D3x sales and demand figures - looking for data

Started Feb 14, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
D3x sales and demand figures - looking for data

So - I would have liked to grab a D3x.

A year ago, I would have "gone for it". Actually, a year ago i did "go for it" - I bought the then available 22MP camera on which I could mount at least some of my Nikon lens's. The then available Nikon capable camera was called the 1DsIII, and I spent real dollars for it (though less than the D3x is now offered for).

Of course such an arrangement is a kludge. No AF, no auto-aperature, can't use G lens's (unless you use the 16-9 adapter) etc. So I would have loved to go grab a D3x. I would still be able to use my 1DsIII. It acquits itself quite nicely with good glass, such as the Canon 85mm f1.2. ... still, I feel at this point that if every I am to get a Nikon 24MP sensor than either the price of the D3x needs to settle downward (unlikely I think given the exchange rate) or the D700x has to come in as a "5Dii killer".

Many would argue that a D700x at a price competitive with the 5Dii would canabilize D3x sales. Perhaps it will, in the same way that perhaps 5Dii sales nibbles at 1DsIII sales. I guess that goes to the issues: Has Nikon already sold the bulk of D3x bodie that it reasonably intended to move at this price ? If that is the case - how many D3x cameras have been sold ? What is the remaining "pent up demand" ?

ON a related note - sales of D700 compared to sales of D3 cameras - is the ratio (D700 / D3) instructive ? Does it predict the likely sales ratio of D700x/ D3x sales ?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
eNo
eNo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow