Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874
(Walt) Re: Mostly agree, except...

As I explained elsewhere, this was a 'photo of opportunity' and I didn't luxury of set-up time or taking multiple preview shows or using intelligent preview. That said, anything you see in the in-camera jpeg can be recreated from the RAW (w the possible exception of advanced DRO). I could have spent more time playing with curves in the conversion, granted. But if I did a straight change of exposure (or exp compensation), the shadows on the wall would have disappeared, as they indeed do in the in-camera jpeg. Do you see the shadows I'm referring to?

I also want to say that I'm not a RAW zealot. I've gone back and forth from RAW to jpeg shooting over the years. My whole point with this thread was to say that I 'rediscovered' the value of RAW with this shot of the mosque. In a few months, I may be seduced by jpeg convenience (and DRO) again.

I think that the RAW example shown ruined the window compared to the
jpeg. Dark and muddy looking, where the jpeg got that far closer to
right.

The shot would have been better in jpeg with DRO+, probably about +3.
If it was metered on the window I'd suggest metering either center
weighted or full rather than just off the window. Combined with DRO+
that would get both the window and the wall "right". It might need a
1/3 stop exp comp too.

On X-Fine vs Fine, make the comparison based on jpeg only shots.
Sony has said the Fine shot with RAW is a preview shot.

Walt

-- hide signature --

Galleries: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/glennjude
Sony A700, KM 11-18mm, CZ16-80mm, SAL70-300mm G, SAL18-250mm, 50mm F1.4

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow