Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
RichV Veteran Member • Posts: 6,182
Re: Easy to fix

Hi, Dayo. That last example was (no offense intended) terrible (for starters you can look at those overpushed reds (the man's skin tone is horrendous), but even the effect of the local exposure shift on the grating, etc.). Yes, there's some lattitude with JPEG, too, and some people might delight in the play and the contention (, etc.) but there's no denying that RAW gives you more to work with. There are certain situations where, short of being a "retouching wizard," you just can't get from a JPEG what you can get from a RAW; there are other times when you can easily get similar results. For quite a while I haven't shot JPEG's at all; recently I've come to trust my A700 just a little bit (I shoot RAW+JPEG) in certain circumstances (usually scenes with more limited DR).

For Glenn: Hi, Glenn. The EXIF's hidden on your images; did you employ DRO in the JPEG shot?

-- hide signature --
 RichV's gear list:RichV's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow