Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905
Re: Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Everyone knows that you have somewhat more post processing latitude with RAW. The problem is that some seem to be of the opinion that you can't do HARDLY ANY post processing with a JPEG and that is not the case. If you are familiar with a program like Photoshop, you can do enormous improvements to JPEG. The OP example is of a non post processed JPEG compared to a RAW, which by its very nature requires some post processing. I think Dayo showed that the differences can be made much smaller with a bit of work on the JPEG. My point is this: while RAW gives one wider latitude in post processing, there is much that can be done with JPEGs. Furthermore, if the shot is well done from the beginning, one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a RAW and a JPEG. I do not believe that most "real" photographers always shoot RAW. This is just snobbery. I think most photographers decide to use one or the other based on what they are shooting and how much time they want to spend processing the images. I think all of us have seen many terrific photos that were shot as JPEGs.

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow