Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Started Feb 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,873
Why you should shoot RAW: an example

Still exploring my new A900+SAL24-70Z (and loving it). I've seen a few people here mention that they only shoot jpeg, and I'm occasionally guilty of that too. But yesterday, I accidently convinced myself that RAW (or cRAW) is the way to go. I was taking some 'practice' (unartistic) shots of an Indian-style mosque near my house using multi-segment metering and cRAW+jpg (w standard style). Here is a comparison of the untouched in-camera jpeg versus a jpeg generated by ACR. Check out the loss of shadows in the in-camera jpeg (walls and cloth at window). Those shadows are gone for good. But the cRAW retains them all. In fact, it seems that the A900 under-exposes a little to keep highlight details, then 'auto-levels' when creating the in-camera jpeg. But this gives you a lot more latitude when converting the RAW image yourself. May be old news, but it's made me a believer... -Glenn
In-camera jpeg:

ACR conversion:

-- hide signature --

Galleries: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/glennjude
Sony A700, KM 11-18mm, CZ16-80mm, SAL70-300mm G, SAL18-250mm, 50mm F1.4

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow