35mm f/1.8 DX - says it all...

Started Feb 10, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jlf Senior Member • Posts: 1,428
35mm f/1.8 DX - says it all...

This really says it all for why Nikon is releasing more DX lenses:

"The main target is D40/D60/D90 owners. They make up 80% of our DSLR sales and there wasn't really an inexpensive prime lens for them. So far, the lens offering for that market has included some really good zooms, but this offers them something they were missing." - Robert Cristina, Nikon

If 80% of their sales by volume is just to the entry-level, they comprise a huge lens-buying opportunity to Nikon. And, then entry-level isn't going FX for many, many years if at all due to size constraints imposed by the FX sensor size.

That suggests the D300/D700/D3/D3X users comprise only 20% of their sales by volume. While I'm sure this group does the majority of the lens buying, if Nikon could successfully tap into the other 80% it'd be a big win for them.

As a DX user, I like that Nikon decided to release a nice, inexpensive "normal" lens. Hopefully, it turns out to be "nice" in terms of IQ. The MTF curves look good, but until we get some real samples it's hard to say how the IQ/bokeh turned out.

j.

-- hide signature --

'The soul never thinks without an image.' - Aristotle

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jlf
BJL
BJL
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow