Windows Basic or Premium?

Started Feb 8, 2009 | Discussions thread
Abbott Schindler Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Learning curve???

I'm running VMware, and coworkers tell me that wrt learning curve, Parallels is similar.

On VMware there's no real learning curve. Setup was a snap. When you're running Windows from a virtual machine, you're just running Windows. You tell Parallels how to configure your machine (cores, memory allocation, shared folders, etc.) and you're done. Nothing really to learn.

The only real difference I can think of is that when you boot using Boot Camp, you're just running a Windows machine. If you're really planning to be a Mac user and need Windows also, you're much better off running Windows in a virtual machine. That way you can access BOTH Mac and Windows apps easily and simultaneously. The only downside is that Windows will run about 5-10% slower because it's running in a virtual machine instead of directly on the Mac.

BTW: If you have VMware or Parallels installed, you could have multiple virtual machines...say Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Linux. Gets to be lots of fun.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow