D3X vs 5D2 - myth and reality

Started Jan 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
John W Peterson Senior Member • Posts: 2,737
Other factors

I agree - at least to the extent that it is apparent that the engineers can debate for hours the "mathematical superiority" of one sensor (or one sensor test) over another.

To say that however, does not nullify the importance of DR (or the occasional lack therof) in current and recent digital cameras. I would have hoped that any dSLR that costs between 3 and 8 thousand dollars would offer me DR that approached what I could get previously with an old film SLR and some decent Kodak or Fuji stock. The fact however is that for all of the great virtues of the modern digital sensors, there will still be this one issue in which most digital SLR's will continue to dissapoint, at least under some circumstanstances.

That having been said, there are these other issues to recomend the D3x; the AF, ergonomics, camera toughness etc. Is it worth the cost difference ? It depends on the circumstances that you shoot under. For the typical studio shooter, I would expect that the difference in performace between the D3x and a 5DII would be modest at best.

I like the 5DIInd 1DsIII a lot, but I wish that they had the DR of my old S5, or the ergonomics and functionality of the D3.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
BNV
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow