D3X vs 5D2 - myth and reality

Started Jan 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP GaborSch Veteran Member • Posts: 7,203
What to measure

It is my firm opinion, that photographers generally do not know the DR of their camera, no matter what you mean with DR; and really, why would they know that?

The DR for a photographer has nothing to do with the engineering definition. It simply means the range the camera can capture and produce a result acceptable for the photographer . The limit of acceptance (of noise) depends on many factors. If I am shooting in bright sunlight a landscape from tripod, the level of perceivable noise I accept is close to zero. Another guy is shooting a night performance of a band without flash light. He will be happy with lots of noise.

Thus the DR becomes the question of the difference between cameras. The D3X is clearly not a low light camera; so the question is, if and how much the DR is greater than that of other cameras in the ISO range 100 to max. 1600. It does not really matter if that is 10 or 20; what matters is, if it is 0.5 or 2 more than the other.

Furthermore, the noise is relevant only in the low intensities. Who cares for shot noise? Give me as much shot noise as possible, I am happy about that.

Now, you may believe, that one camera becomes much less noisy suddenly in the almost blacks, while it creates more noise in the "normal shadows" than another camera. Ask the people on the forums, which camera they want to have.

However, there is one point, where you caught me: the linearity. I have raw images of Stouffer transmission wedges by a free cameras. I myself have a calibrated wedge and can attest, that the Canon 40D is linear down to the point, when pixels start to turn black. The old 5D too appears to be linear. Now, there is an interesting point: the test shots I have been using include a Kodak gray scale too. If I am accepting that the 40D (not only my one but the others as well) maintains linearity, then I can "calibrate" the Kodak gray scale (Imaging Resources have been using the very same one in their tests, of the 40D as well). This suggests (not proves ) to me, that the 5D2 too is linear.

On the other hand, I know for fact, that the Nikon raw files are never linear without an adjustment. Now we are at a different, but important issue: your belief, that the D3X becomes suddenly much better in the range close to black. Well, it does not. This is the inherent difference between the presented raw data of Canons and Nikons, and Lloyd (and obviously DxO too) misinterpreted the situation.

Anyway, we need to agree, that our views in these issues are strongly differing; I don't see any problem with that.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
BNV
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow