D3X vs 5D2 - myth and reality

Started Jan 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
knickerhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,047
What is DxO's claim?

GaborSch wrote:

The DxO results as well as the "professionally done" tests of Lloyd
have been too suspicious for me to let them pass unchecked.

The result proves, that the claim "two stops higher DR than the 5D2"
is ridiculous , like some other claims. In fact, the DR of the D3X
is max. 0.5 EV greater than that of the 5D2 at ISO 100, and at ISO
400 the 5D2 is already better.

If you look at the DxO "overview" figure for dynamic range, the D3X is rated at 13.7 and the 5D2 is rated at 11.9. I assume that's the basis for your statement that DxO claims a 2 stop difference. What doesn't make sense to me is how DxO derives its "overview" dynamic range figures. If you look at the actual dynamic range charts for the two cameras published by DxO, the D3X is slightly less than one EV (12.84) greater than the 5D2 (11.9) at their lowest measured ISOs (78 and 73 respectively). By about 250 the graphs cross and from thereon the 5D2 is measured at having greater dynamic range. Other than the "overview" figure, DxO's findings would appear to be pretty consistent with Gabor's. Or am I missing something?

(Note to Gabor: as usual, you would be better served to report your findings in a neutral way instead of with such certitude and dismissiveness. They are interesting, even if based on very limited input data that you didn't produce yourself, but no more definitive than DxO and various other reviews and measurements.)
--
My photos: http://www.pbase.com/imageiseverything/root

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
BNV
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow