D3X vs 5D2 - myth and reality

Started Jan 26, 2009 | Discussions thread
OP GaborSch Veteran Member • Posts: 7,203
Expectations

Mel wrote:

Can you then call it cr@p for owners other than youself if they do
not feel it to be?

I'm afraid you misunderstood what I wrote. If you purchase something in this price range with certain expectations in mind and it turned out not to fulfill that, then are you happy with your purchase?

Re the generic level of knowledge:

1. look at the thread "NEF compression"; how many members don't know the difference between uncompressed, compressed and losslessly compressed. This is not the first thread; there are many, who believe that the lossy compression does not cause any visible loss. The same on other forums.

2. look at threads about using the "wrong" ISOs. The majority of photogs do not even know, that some of the ISOs are fake. The camera makers actively contribute to the confusion; for example the 5D2 manual declared ISO 12800 and 25600 as "expansion", while in fact already 6400 is fake. The same is happening with some Nikons. I see this on other forums as well.

3. I see sometimes issues with cameras, which cost $20,000-$30,000, and the owners do not know exactly how their camera is doing ISO (most MFDBs do not have any ISO, only post processing), etc.

4. Those photogs participation or at least reading these forums are the better informed ones; think of those, who buy the camera, read the manual and the education is done.

So, yes, I was serious with my statement re the knowledge of the owners of expensive cameras. It does not mean that the owners of cheaper cameras are generally more knowledable, but the price/knowledge relation is different.

Anyway, let's get back to the topic.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
BNV
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow