FYI on the epson 4880

Started Jan 18, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
BobMert Senior Member • Posts: 1,306
FYI on the epson 4880

OK if you're faint of heart do not read any more of this post.

I bought my wife a 4880 and she started to complain that my 4800 was printing better than her new state of the art machine. I told her that wasn't the case as she had the latest and greatest and it was probably the ink I was using. Over the course of the last several years and several printers I have slowly found inks that I liked better than the stock inks of these printer, so my images had a different look than my wife's. In my wife's head that meant I'd only use the best so she wanted the same results as mine. So off I went looking for after market ink cartridges for the 4880 which turned out to be tougher than I thought.

I found 3 companies that said they had what I needed so I bought one cartridge, a replacement chip and a resetter from each to give it a try. To make a long story short one cartridge didn't fit, one chip resetter failed, and one company had their act together and while shipping was a bit slow (Shipped during the week of Christmas) all products worked.

After getting everything together this weekend I set her printer up and profiled it and now I'm wanting a new printer. The 4880 running after market inks in just a bit above my 4800 but only a bit. The total cost of conversion was around $260 so it's already paid for its self as the wife had used up 4 of the epson inks.

Here's were I got mine "sales(at)efillink.com" write to Ron.

OK now the disclaimer. If your hobby is not printing then stick with the OEMs. If you like to play and aren't afraid to take a chance to get something a bit better then here is a source for parts for your 4880 (maybe others I didn't ask) Service is good and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. For those thinking why take a chance and switch to an unknown ink all I can say there are reasons to run aftermarket inks. To name a few CMYK proofing (dye inks work better), Dye sublimation inks, special ink hue changes to reduce paper color casts and more. So if your happy with the OEM results the use them and realize that there are some folks out there that like to play and take chances and produce something just a bit different than the next guy.
Happy printing
Bob
Completed install and supplies you will need.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow