Show me your D1X spiders! And other requests...

Started Jan 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,233
Show me your D1X spiders! And other requests...

I've done a couple of searches but most examples here are from years old posts so the pics aren't there anymore. What there is frankly isn't that great. I come from doing spiders with an Olympus E-410 and 30-year old Zuiko macro lens.

After seeing how cheap D1X's are on Fleabay I've been checking out photos made with this camera. All are stunning, apart from I've not been able to find any good spider shots taken with this camera. And I do spiders a lot.

I also have some queries I'd like clearing up, please:

• I have just received a Nikon D50 and will play with that a while before deciding what my Spring/Summer camera will be. Mayhap the D50 has better IQ than the D1X due to the 4-year difference in technology? Which might even mean so would my ex-camera, the Olympus E-410.

• I think the D1X can meter with Nikkor MF lenses: AI, pre-AI, Nikkormat. But can it also meter with M42 lenses? I already know you need an adaptor and infinity is lost anyway.

• The D1X has a 1/16000 shutter speed! But has anyone ever found a use for it, a picture you took that would not have been possible with the 1/4000 we get with most modern DSLR's?

• How is the viewfinder for low-light manual focussing? I guess it must be bigger and brighter than the D50?

• It's resistant to water drops...have any of you took it out in the rain? How was it?

• I keep reading the D1X is closest to film in terms of image feel and grain. Is this a myth or a generally held opinion? I downloaded a D1X NEF file and at ISO 3200 the noise looked like coloured mottle, at ISO 800 or less there was hardly any noise to observe. By the way, my film cameras are the Olympus OM1 and Nikon F-801.

• What are your tips for CCD dust-cleaning? The review here has that problem as a con, stating that the blowers do not help.

• Do you find the weight and size of the D1X acts as a 2-stop-saving Stabiliser? I found that with an Olympus E-1 I was using last month, even at 1/4 seconds I could get a relatively sharp picture (at wide-angle).

Thanks in advance for any response!

For anyone wondering why I'm not considering the newer cameras...it's because of price and backwards-compatibility with old MF lenses. I would consider the D70s tho', as price-wise it's a straight swap for my D50.

Well, the aim is to have a decision before March kicks in (i.e. Springtime in Germany). Others considered are the Canon 20D or maybe a Pentax. I like Olympus still but time for something completely different (helps the inspiration).

-- hide signature --

dholl

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow