DXOMark just tested the D3X

Started Jan 15, 2009 | Discussions thread
Dan Wells Contributing Member • Posts: 571
From looking at prints, I had suspected this...

The increases seemed a little TOO dramatic , compared to any camera I had used before, to be explained by "it's just the Alpha 900 in a new package". I thought I was seeing 1.5-2 stops of extra dynamic range at low IS0 over the 1Ds mkII (note: NOT mk III) ,rather than the 1 stop or so that the Alpha 900 has. DxOmark bears this out (as does a DR test some folks on Nikonians (I think) did). The D3x has .75 stop or so of extra DR over anything except the S5, plus exceptional detail and a gorgeous, smooth tonal range. All the measurements we're beginning to see correlate perfectly with my subjective experiences making large prints from the D3x (I posted on December 28 "Purely by eye, I think this camera has 1.5-2 stops more low-ISO DR than a 1Ds mkII", and DxOmark now says it's almost exactly 2 stops).

This is the finest "35mm" DSLR the world has yet seen, and nearly 1000 high-detail landscapes on mine in the past month, leading to 10 large prints (and I need to order more paper) , support the same conclusion that the technical measurements are increasingly coming to. It's expensive, and there are good arguments why it should be cheaper (endlessly rehashed here), BUT the next step up in image quality is TWICE as expensive, less convenient to use and requires all new lenses (no reasonable zooms. As several knowledgeable people (the staff at Calumet Boston - dealers in everything photographic who care if you buy a camera, but don't care if it's Nikon, Canon or Hasselblad) who saw a 24x36 inch print from my D3x said, "this is the best digital SLR on the market from a pure image quality standpoint, and Hasselblad should be worried for their low end, because the difference from the H3DII/31 is not great". Medium format has its place, especially above 50 mp, but Nikon has done what they set out to do in refining what's possible from a 24x36 mm DSLR. Canon WILL have a competitor later this year at some point, but it will probably be the same price as the D3x.

-Dan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow