Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Rick Diaz Regular Member • Posts: 305
Re: What is Canon's Customer relations like for their flagship?

That would seem to be where the "bar is set" as far as
expectations for customer relationships wouldn't it?

If you set a goal to only equal your competitors, that's all you ever
do. Nikon is a camera company now (most of its sales come from
cameras and associated equipment). Nikon has the chance to be the
DEFINING camera company, which would put great pressure on the others
and set expectations of what defines a good camera and a good camera
company for years.

I personally hate "copycat" tactics. They don't distinguish you from
the competition. Apple is a relatively good example of a company
Nikon needs to think more about mimicking. Consider Apple's Genius
Bar versus Microsoft's outsourced in India limited telephone tech
support, for example. Even my mom has figured out the difference
there.

Apple only became a great example to you under the leadership of Steve Jobs, but only when they invited him back to lead. They kicked him out during the early 80s and actually stagnated. I mean, speaking of expensive computers, the Macintosh Lisa went for $10,000 and not to mention the ill-fated Apple III! Remember the clone program they initiated with Daystar and Umax?!? A complete disaster. It took them about 2 decades to right the wrongs they did. That's experience they've got today to make them a better company. You made it sound like Apple is a perfect company. It ain't! In fact, you could buy Apple shares for less than $15 at one time. Today, it's incredible.

I think Nikon and Canon are going through what personal computer did in the early 80s. Remember Wang Computers, found by Dr. Wang in 1951 went from nothing to a $3 billion dollar company and employing I think 30,000 people only to flounder and went under. The Wang towers costed 60 million to built and went on foreclosure for only $525,000. Their downfall. Lack of innovation, which they apparently had on their earlier days. Their customer service, however, was one of the best btw.

Apple's current high is full of innovation, but they are not without pitfalls. Certain Performa series need to have a LIFE time guarantee, the problem with the iMac G5 caps blowing off, the leaking coolant of the Dual G5 tower and issues with some Macbooks and certain customer issues on the phone.

So, please don't paint a rosy picture of Apple just because the genius bar is helpful. Yes it is, but like any company it does have imperfection.

Rick.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow