Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,659
Re: What is Canon's Customer relations like for their flagship?

Zane Paxton wrote:

Just a question as a point of comparision (and there aren't that many
other comparisions to be made here), what different kind of
relationship does Canon offer the owners of their $7,500-ish flagship
model?

None.

That would seem to be where the "bar is set" as far as
expectations for customer relationships wouldn't it?

If you set a goal to only equal your competitors, that's all you ever do. Nikon is a camera company now (most of its sales come from cameras and associated equipment). Nikon has the chance to be the DEFINING camera company, which would put great pressure on the others and set expectations of what defines a good camera and a good camera company for years.

I personally hate "copycat" tactics. They don't distinguish you from the competition. Apple is a relatively good example of a company Nikon needs to think more about mimicking. Consider Apple's Genius Bar versus Microsoft's outsourced in India limited telephone tech support, for example. Even my mom has figured out the difference there.

More to the point, with a product now 60% higher in price than before, Nikon is indicating that they're going upscale. But if all you do is point to the product and say "more pixels, good performance" to justify that, you get a backlash. (Some people accuse me of causing the backlash, but I can tell you I had a very full InBox of backlash before I even wrote a word publicly.)

I'm not a pro so I have no idea of what the MF crowd enjoys,

Another good point: the MF crowd doesn't enjoy much, either. The one thing they have going for themselves is that some of the companies are small enough that you can get personal attention if you can navigate their contact system.

I would
also extend "pro service" to include strategic insights (under NDA)
which are very useful when planning and budgeting for any business.

I'm sure we could all come up with a long list of things that would represent a closer relationship. The point is, we have none of those today, yet Nikon has made it clear that they expect more of us (money).

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow