Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
C_4 Contributing Member • Posts: 545
Re: My thoughts about the review and the price of the D3X

Good review Thom, but I'm not sure I agree with your cost breakdown analysis..

First off, the D3X cannot have the same buffer upgrade as the D3; it may have the same frame capacity, but in fact, because each frame from the D3X has double the pixel count, it must in fact have double the memory of the D3 to capture the same number of frames.. The buffer upgrade was $500, so if we use your 1 to 3 rule, 2 x $500 / 3 = roughly $330. The sensor, I could see costing another $300-500 (or more- on a piece of silicon that big, getting acceptable yields is incredibly difficult).. Even if you make the reasonable assumption that on each sensor there are probably already dozens of "bad pixels" that are "mapped out", costs for that big a piece of silicon are going to be significantly higher than the previous generation of sensor.. Even if they're just buying the sensor from Sony, that doesn't change the yield and increased base cost; indeed, there's probably some additional mark up added on top.. A/D converters- individually, they may not be as expensive, but again, with double the pixels, you need double the number, so there is probably some extra cost.. As a result, I find it entirely plausible that they have $1000 of extra costs vs. the D3..

That's not to say that I disagree with your conclusions however: it is a way overpriced camera.. There's the inevitable comparison with the Sony camera, which I believe must be being sold pretty much at cost, or even at a small loss in order to gain market share.. I don't believe that Sony is anywhere in the same league as Nikon (and even if they were, I wouldn't be caught dead with such an fugly camera- I'd switch to Canon, with their "weak chin and weak shoulders" before I'd use a Sony), but to many people, "price sells".. I think even with the increased parts costs, Nikon did have a fair bit of room to play with on the pricing of the D3X and they could have played with their margins a bit to price the camera more realistically..

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow