Rick Diaz Regular Member • Posts: 305
Re: And I have more to say too :)

Actually I have more to say

Since I gave what will most likely be considered a negative thesis on
the pricing, and I don't believe that Thom Hogan, Ken R, Michael R,
or Phil Askey, or the internet in general will make even a ping in
the pricing of the Nikon D3X, I do support all the noise they are or
may make on the pricing.

They will only make a dent to the undecided. There are a lot of people out there who are. I attended a trade show this fall and noticed that the fans for the various makers usually show up, but the undecided are less so. These are the loyalists who will not be dissuaded by anyone on the net, because they know what they want. The pros usually know what they want, as long as they do the pros and cons of the camera system. They use reviews as a guide and as noted by pros I spoke to, a few had already found out that the recent reviews of the D3x and the P6000 were flawed or biased. I disagreed to some extent, but I found several helpful hints in them that I now know how to steer clear their weaknesses.

To me, reviews save my experimentation time. If somebody does the measure-bating for me, do I complain? Nope! To me, time is money.

The problem with reviews is that, it is written by a human being with a certain value system. That's why we have Motel 6 and we have the Hilton and we have economy and we have first class. Try flying first class in the A380 -- it's nice and comfy but comes at a steep price. I respect Mr. Hogan's value system and agree with some of his points. I also suspect that is the reason Nikon is keeping a low profile on the D3x, because it is a camera system that is hovering in the 20mp+ arena among those of the Alpha 900 and the 5D2 and is difficult to distinguish among itself unless the user had extensively usage and expertise in the medium format arena and have used the P25, the Hassy and the Sinar and appreciate the quality it gives and are curious about the quality of the D3x. Interestingly enough, it is these people who are testing the D3x and from what I've heard and seen have every justification of its IQ. Price is simply a perceived value of the camera itself. Price is also a quantity production issue as well. The more the camera is produced, the lower the FOB price is. People seemed to neglect the fact that a photographer is a golfer with many sets of clubs including woods, irons and putters to hit the ball into a hole with the least amount of strokes. A D3x is just another set of expensive club. Ask Tiger Woods to hit the ball with just a putter on the 18 hole course against VJ Singh with a full range of clubs at his disposal. Tiger Woods is not a GOD without the necessary clubs. A lot of reviewers expect a D3x to be just one putter that allows any golfer to win the game in the pro tournament course. Maybe in the Pitch and Putt course perhaps.

I think the noise may - or may not - effect the pricing of Canon's
reply to the D3X. This will be the pivot point I will be watching, to
see if Canon will also ignore that wailing and gnashing of teeth and
march to their own drum, or if folks like Thom and friends will be
able to rattle loud enough and long enough for Canon to take notice
and make a change in their pricing policy.

Again, a change in pricing is to expect a change in the movement of inflation to deflation. Deflation is what happened to Japan starting in the mid 80s and went through more than a decade. Many reviewers seemed to have forgotten that Nikon and Canon are JAPANESE companies. They had went through the deflationary spiral of the Japanese economy 20 years prior and surely must have developed expertise to function in troubling times. Whereas, American companies are now tested because they have never experienced the same deflationary bubble that Japan had. That's why GM, Chrysler, Ford and Pilgrim's Pride (the largest chicken producer and had already filed for Chapter 11) are all suffering. Toyota and Honda are suffering, but not at the same extent as the 3 domestic giants.

All of this noise is actually good for Nikon. People like Mr. Hogan and Ken Rockwell are actually helping Nikon generate D3x awareness. The more they talk about it, the best the coverage and it's free! After all, what kind of news that sells? Bad news. This is bad press generated on the net that exhumes the interest for people to actually rent or try the unit out to see for themselves. Many did.

The issue about price is that, it is essentially a D3 with a 24MP+ sensor, so they do the match D3x price - D3 = price of the sensor. And then they compare this to the Alpha 900 or the 5D2 (again apples and oranges) and claim that price even with lenses, the 2 other systems will come out ahead. That's true, but this is a simplistic argument without taking a note that a high megapixel sensor camera is only good to what it's designed for. For those who need 50mb + files for stock, they can interpolate from a 12MP+ sensor or shoot 20MP+ and get better file sizes.

There are also issues with storage and computing power. Some people said storage is cheap. While that's true that a single WD Book is cheap, pros use RAID storage array with removable media and either a FW800 or eSATA interface. These storage systems are not something that goes on Best Buy specials during Black Friday. Ask a normal joe or jane what a FW800 cable looks like or an eSATA?

People with high end RAID storage solution and S-IPS panels for image editing have certain justification for these tools. After all, how could a RAID storage company and any S-IPS LCD panel maker survive when cheaper USB 2 storage solutions and TN panels suffice?

If you can answer this, then companies that make expensive RAID solutions and S-IPS ought need to go under don't you think?

Sadly, they are not.

Rick.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow