Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
jljones Regular Member • Posts: 422
I'm not going to argue...

... with the technical aspects of Thom's review as I'm unable to be as thorough in assessing the difference the extra Mps really make. Anecdotally, I can see the difference on samples I've taken with the camera (unable to publish sadly) and I love the camera.

Certainly one of the key elements in the review is this notion of value based on the price that Nikon is charging. This can be looked at in another way though. For some photographers out there, already committed to Nikon and its myriad of lenses, the purchase price of the D3x could be recouped in less than a week. It could then go on to be profitable for years. It may take others a month before the camera shows profit, it may take a year. But these are the kind of image makers that will benefit from the D3x. So as a business proposition, for the right kind of photographer, it could make complete sense to buy a D3x because it does seem to have the best image quality of any DSLR at the moment. The alternative is MF with al the problems, from a businesss pov, of having another system.

I know a food/interiors/advertising photographer here in London who went digital much later than most and as a lifelong Nikon user, bemoaned the lack of a high res FF camera and so bought flagship Canon with enough lenses to satisfy particular clients. She still shoots MF and 5x4 film but having evaluated the D3x against her Canon, she would like the Nikon, but business dictates she waits until the next suitable job - which I think is next week. Why? because the D3x will help her be competitive and the cost will be recouped in one job.

For certain photographers, presumably Nikon's target, the D3x is the business.

There was also mention in the review that the D3x is a little backward technically because of the lack of video and sensor cleaner. Tell me, what happens to the dust that sensor cleaners shake off? And thank goodness there is no video. IMHO.

I keep remembering that photography has changed very little since it's beginning - except the technology.
--
Jeremy

http://www.jljphotography.co.uk
NPS

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow