Thom Hogan wrote:

You might want to include the sentence immediately following that:
"The tech base of the camera feels a little dated because of that."

Video is going to be a contentious addition to our DSLRs, but likely
one that we'll see more and more of. The sensor cleaning aspect,
though, is not. Keeping my D3 sensor clean has been a chore compared
to keeping my D700 sensor clean. All the D3x competitors have this
feature. Thus "feels a little dated."

While I agree with you on sensor cleaning I’m still skeptical about the video. Anyway, you may be right because since some DSLR models started coming with video now all others have to have the feature… If this is the logic how even pro market works then maybe D3x will be last model without video.

Otoh, if one assumes a D3x is to be intended for professional users I really wonder who needs video on a 24 MP camera?

Photojournalists get use of video but will prefer a fast, high ISO capable body, so it’s D3 + video. Same applies for sports. Most of those images (photojournalism, sports) are delivered for press and I don’t see 24 MP make sense here, often enough picture department even doesn’t like images from a 1d3. Studio? I guess there is no real use of video. Maybe landscape photographers? You know best, maybe weight is an issue to be considered. Ok, what about wedding shoots? Personally, I’d prefer a 12 MP + video camera over a 24 MP counterpart for better high ISO capabilities. But I don't know what pro wedding photographers really think about it.

Bottom line: Maybe it’s similar to mobile phones - 50% of the features will not be used by 80% of the users, but if a mobile doesn’t come along with a MP3 player it feels dated (counts estimated by me So, video on high mp bodies may become a must for marketing reasons mainly…
--
regards, eric

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow