Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Octane Senior Member • Posts: 2,993
Re: the price is right

Thom Hogan wrote:

You'll note that McNally didn't buy one. D3x bodies are in stock for
purchase today and have been since introduction. I think your
"willing to pay" bit is stretching it too far. It appears so far that
quite a few aren't willing to pay that much.

I don't believe in picking some individuals, who are somehow in the spotlight on the online world, as being representative for worldwide sales. Yes it's in stock, but that was pretty much expected.

I think the current economy has put the brakes on many people's wallets. Even if they could afford it, they rather wait. Let's face it, the real world advantage of 24 over 12 mp is not that big and important. We finally see proof of what many many kept saying. 24 is not what they need.

A 5D II plus two mid priced lenses is not a real alternative. I think even Canon fans will agree that the 5D II is not even in the same league as a camera. Performance, buffer, speed, shutter lag, AF, it's not even close to the D3x.

Again, I believe the D3x is mainly suffering from bad timing. 6 months earlier it would have been a sales hit (even with the 5D II out) , today everyone, even successful companies and individuals are holding on to their money just to be safe. We've seen how bad the sales have dropped for pretty much every company these days.

I'm absolutely with you though when it comes to customer service. If you buy a few $5000 & $7000 cameras plus lenses you can expect a different level of support and care than D90 customers are getting. I had to deal with pure denial on Nikon's service side so I know from experience.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow