EX-FH20 is a fun camera

Started Jan 13, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fsw Senior Member • Posts: 2,882
EX-FH20 is a fun camera

I was dubious about the FH20, since I have a Sony DSLR and am totally happy with it, but the Casio, from the online ad, sounded like fun, so I bit.

Because I have the DSLR (the A700), my use of the Casio has been sporadic. So I haven't mastered it, by any means. I sure have had fun with it.

The pros: Shooting slow-motion movies is a gas. Even if you don't know what you're doing. I could actually get pretty good at this. High-speed stills shooting: I can do without 40 fps, but 10 is pretty darn impressive, and you get a pretty nice printable image, unlike the Olympus 550 where I tried and the high-fps quality just wasn't there. Maybe Olympus has improved upon that. The Oly's specs can't come near the Casio. The lens may be better for general shooting, but the Casio rocks, as far as buffer goes.

The cons: Like with the Olympus superzoom, which I ultimately gave away, the FH20 is near-impossible to focus at full zoom even in good light. Tone it down a bit, using midzoom, and you can lock focus and all is well with the world. At full zoom, it can be really, really frustrating. Midzoom isn't bad, if you can live with that. Tthe closer-up you are focusing, the easier it is to lock focus. Once you know the limitations, you can adjust your use of the camera.

I tried shooting our family Christmas gathering indoors. At minimum zoom (wide angle), not much problem. With any sort of zoom, indoors, it was a major exasperation trying to lock focus as the subjects tested their patience with me. Again, once you learn the limitations, you can work around them, as long as you are willing to. Indoors, be prepared to be simple-as-possible wide-angle point and shoot.

I've tried doing the multi-image sequences with mixed results. That's something I'd like to master. I'll try them with a tripod and I think I know how to make them work. There will be errors, but with trial and error I'll get some really cool images.

The FH20 is a nice effort, Casio. It can be really fun. I could see skate fanatics being really excited with this camera.

The future will be better. Stay at it, Casio. I'll have some fun with this one while awaiting the next.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fsw
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow