Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
Octane Senior Member • Posts: 2,993
the price is right

Thom Hogan wrote:

Hmm. For someone who is so into "facts," you seem to ignore some. The
1DsIII is a pro body, has two card slots, a pro focusing system, has
customized menus, and so on.

You miss the point Tom. The D3x is a Nikon, not a Canon or a Sony or whatever camera.

The D3 has managed to get a huge amount of pros back to Nikon. Now Nikon offers them a top resolution camera that seamlessly fits into their system. THAT is what makes it worth it's price. If you are a pro and have worked with the D3 you pick up a D3x and start shooting this very minute. The fact that it integrates into your system and you can use all lenses and accessories that you know and trust is worth the price. Who cares that there is a cheaper Sony. It's a completely different camera, requiring different lenses.

If you were shooting Nikon and needed the extra resolution you had to get a different brand camera plus lenses and had the inconvenience to shoot with a system you didn't know. Now Nikon offers a camera that is identical to the D3. This is the market for the D3x. I'm not even a full time photographer shooting with a D3. There is no way I would even consider the Sony A900 or 5D II (or whatever) as an alternative to the D3x should I need the extra resolution. It just doesn't make sense financially and even less from the actual use on location.

I really don't understand how you can go on and on about the prices of parts and theorize about it when we all know that the price tag is very much set based on what people are willing to pay based on the time and situation.

The D3x is clearly for a professional who's other alternatives are more expensive in the end and less convenient. So really the D3x price is right where is is realistic.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow