Thom Hogan D3X review

Started Jan 12, 2009 | Discussions thread
pablo162 Regular Member • Posts: 143
Re: Thom Hogan D3X review

rhlpetrus wrote:

Good review, but the price issue colors the whole piece.

I would disagree on that point, but it is a matter of taste I suppose. I think Thom is spot on. More-over, like him, I don't think it;s the price that is actually the problem, it's the expectations, the marketing, the quality of the build (at least of Thom's camera), and the lack of extra "luxury" features, such as included NPS, or some other way of making the customer feel happier about spending over the odds.

So, good, but, IMO, not very useful for the crowd interested in this
camera.

I agree with this to an extent, but then I suppose there are some considering buying a D3x as an alternative to buying an expensive MF digital back or renting the same for each job. Some will, I am sure, buy one on mp count alone, and the fact that it does seem to be a superb camera with outstanding quality. But again, if quality is the absolute ultimate issue for someone, they should probably be thinking about MF anyway. My mind goes round in circles on this issue, I am not 100% sure who this camera is for, given the really high price.

Anyway, I am still getting superb low ISO images from my D2x and amazing (to me) higher iso images from my D300, so I am certainly not interested. I should really be thinking about a D3/D700, but I get everything I need from what I have and cannot justify increased costs in lens replacements when I and my clients are so happy already!.

-- hide signature --

Pablo

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
CRH
CRH
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
C_4
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
HAE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow