Tokina 11-16 bad backfocus problem

Started Jan 3, 2009 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Diamond D Junior Member • Posts: 29
Tokina 11-16 bad backfocus problem

I've seen reports of this before on this forum, and it looks like my copy is suffering from this problem pretty severely. Is there anything I should try other than just sending it back to B&H and hoping my next copy will be better? I'm using a D80 so I cannot adjust the front/back focus.

I was very excited to get it for Christmas. When I took some family pictures by the tree though, I could immediately tell not all was well. From several feet away, all shots were quite soft.

So I set up a little test shoot on my table here, and I can see it's back focusing quite a bit. When I set up a target about 2 feet from the focal plane, the focus index shows > 3 ft. When I set up at 6 feet, the focus indicator is showing PAST infinity. The images confirm this backfocus. At 6 feet, autofocused images are terrible.

All images are F/2.8 on a tripod with remote release. 100% crops with nothing done to them.

In the first shot, the focus point is on the box. The picture frame is a few feet behind, but clearly in much better focus.

In the 2nd image, the focus point is on the picture frame. Both items are now way out of focus.

Now at a shorter distance of approximately 2 feet from the camera, the problem is still very obvious.

This first picture, the focus point is on the blue Photoshop box. The hard drive box several inches behind it is in much better focus.

In the 2nd picture, the focus point is on the HD box, which is now very soft. The letter on the farthest box is now reasonably in focus.

Finally, a shot using manual focus on the HD box, looks pretty good for f/2.8

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow