K-m vs. DS - direct comparison!

Started Dec 29, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
urje Regular Member • Posts: 112
K-m vs. DS - direct comparison!

Since I got a DS mostly because it was small and had everything I wanted back then, I was pretty excited to hear about the new K-m in all its smallness. I got even more excited when a roommate pulled the trigger and got one, so I could easily compare. I haven't seen any threads in which these two are compared directly, but if there are, feel free to point out the uselessness of this thread

Anyway, some shots:

I know these aren't the best, but you at least get a feel of how similar they are...

Handling

First thing that came to mind was that the K-m is significantly lighter than the DS. This might be partly due to the lithium batteries in it in contrast to the Ni-MH ones in my DS, but that's surely not all there is to it. The grip is different, smaller. The DS grip is more beefy, but the K-m has this grip for the middle finger which feels like I could get used to it. Buttons feel fine, although i think i prefer to have the row of four on the left side of the screen. Not a dealbreaker, though.

The menus and buttons do feel a lot quicker on the K-m. This is where some 4 years of faster electronics can be felt.

Viewfinder

Ok, prism vs. mirror makes a big difference. the viewfinder of the DS fills much more of my view, the image is a lot bigger. Clarity and frame coverage feel rather similar, though. Especially for my MF lenses I think this makes a big difference. I like the larger range of info in the viewfinder of the K-m, but i like the top-LCD of the DS too, so that would be a tie

Image quality

Unfortunately, Rawtherapee seems to be unable to open K-m .PEFs, so I can't make a real comparison yet. I only made some ISO1600 test shots, and at first sight, they seem not so different from each other. I did notice a blown-out section of the DS image which was not blown out on the K-m with the same settings. This could mean a larger dynamic range for the K-m, but it could also be a slightly lower sensitivity or a slightly different angle or so. Anyway, I hope to compare RAW-files soon...

Overall

The two main specs for which i would like to upgrade from my DS are SR and high ISO performance. Higher dynamic range would be nice too. The main thing I do not want to downgrade would be the viewfinder. It turns out the K-m isn't for me at the moment. Low budget and small pockets keep me away from K20, so it seems I'll keep on using the DS for another while

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow