Inital comparison D3x - D3 - P45+ at base ISO

Started Dec 20, 2008 | Discussions thread
anotherMike Veteran Member • Posts: 9,511
Re: Inital comparison D3x - D3 - P45+ at base ISO

Actually, the 24-70 is quite close in overall quality to the 14-24 and an excellent lens in the range of approximately 30-60mm. In that range it can easily play in the same ballpark as any competing lens, including any Zeiss prime or zoom. You contention that Nikon has lens design issues because of DX is unfounded and shows a lack of knowledge about Nikons glass and their design philosophy.

Where the 24-70 is weak, however, is most definitely at 24mm - I ran with two copies of this lens for a while and neither was anything but "fair" in the corners and edges at 24mm, even stopped down. Like everything else, there are always compromises in lens design and I suppose to get the quality in the strong range something had to be given up, and for me the tradeoff is acceptable because the lens flat out outpeforms everything else I've seen in that 30-60mm range, so my feeling is that it (the lens) used at, say, 35mm could very easily be used in this comparison (although of course it, nor any other DSLR lens, is going to compare to a multi thousand dollar digital rodenstock or what have you)

Thus while I am very thankful of Jost for providing these images and taking the time, I do think using 35mm or so on the zoom would have been a better comparison in terms of getting into the range where the zoom is quite stellar.

-m

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
hrl
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow