50mm f/1.4G AFS

Started Dec 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
A word or two about aperture rings...

Ravncat wrote:

to some, yes.
Though not to me, as I really prefer to use the aperture ring.

I used to think the same way. I even had the custom function set on my F100 to let me use the lens's aperture ring instead of the camera's command dial.

Then I had an epiphany one day, shooting in the studio.

If you set the aperture on the camera, all you have to do is meter the lights and set the aperture once. You can change lenses a dozen times without having to set the aperture on each lens. Change the lights? Change the control on the camera once, instead of having to check each lens, each time you change.

The second epiphany came when we had to do a report on camera ergonomics.

The left hand under the camera involves two non-optimal bits of body mechanics. You have supination (the forearm twisted until the palm faces inward) to turn the hand so that the thumb and fingers can cradle the camera or grip the focus, zoom or aperture rings. Spuination puts continuous strain on the biceps and contributes to camera shake. (This is also why the "Reznik position" works so well for holding long lenses, no supination).

And the right wrist is bent slightly forward (palmar flexion, I think. It's been a while) which is "good", the carpal tunnel is straight, makes working the controls easy. The left wrist, on the other hand, is bent pretty far backward (dorsal extension or hyperextension) which restricts the carpal tunnel at the same time you need the tendons in that tunnel for opposition (grasping the rings).

(man, I need to have a physiologist check the last two paragraphs over. Or dig up the old report. The one who worked with me on that report said the left hand positions were outside the normal human "range of motion" for both the supination of the forearm and the extension of the left wrist. That's why he used the term "hyperextension").

So give the camera control of the aperture a try. It's both better for your workflow (less chance of screwing up an aperture in the studio) and better for your body (less chance of an RSI, and less strain on the biceps).

Though
I would really like the all the time manual focus override

That's a "must have" feature for me.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow