1DsMKIII Owner - Bought a 5D and build quality is what I thought JUNK Err 20 Pic

Started Dec 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
solecollector Regular Member • Posts: 195
1DsMKIII Owner - Bought a 5D and build quality is what I thought JUNK Err 20 Pic

So I get on the forum yesterday evening and see that Best Buy has the new 5D. I called - had them put one on hold - and booked it up there (60 miles). I get the camera home and charge the battery all night like a good boy. I get up this am, put a lens on the camera, read how to shoot video... hit the little video button - and I get this error:

So I call Best Buy again and they had one left. I ask them to put it on hold and drive back up there... still 60 miles... and snag the other one.

Now I know that any camera can be DOA but it sucks when you are the one getting it.

Just so everyone know - here is what happened:

1. It asked for me to put in the date.

2. I hit the shutter button and it sounds like the mirror locks up - but won't come back down.

3. I get the error message and take out the battery / put it back in / turn it off and on a couple of times / and get the same dam thing.
4. I'm asked to put the date back in.

Here are my thoughts (outside of the DOA retardation). And I assume this is just like moving from the 7 series BMW to a 3 series. Yeah, the 3 is still nice - but it isn't solid. And that is what I feel with the 5D.

1. I've had the 1Ds I - III and I can honestly say the autofocus is LIGHT years ahead. I know some people had problems with their III - I haven't so I can't complain.

2. The controls take some getting used to. The little smiley faces within the menu system make me feel like I'm using a toy rather than a serious camera.

3. It only takes CF cards... probably my biggest surprise - and of course I haven't used CF cards since using the 1Ds I.

4. The camera is LIGHT. I kind of like it. I know there will be some balance issues as I shoot a lot hand held.

5. The video output is STUNNING. The images are on par with the 1Ds MKIII which means STUNNING. But I have to be honest, the images from the 5D look a little dummed down. I can't put my finger on it but side by side they feel different. But no doubt the 5D is worth EVERY PENNY.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow