Bayer - Foveon comparison

Started Nov 23, 2008 | Discussions thread
Sirluke Forum Member • Posts: 65
Wrong point of view

Hi,

this thread is another very good exercise of how to extract the most out of a camera raw file, including the upscaling algorithms. And I'm fine with that.

I agree that the 50D has an edge in resolving power and that the SD14 does a gret job of being at least comparable with the 15Mp camera.

The point I want to make, is that a comparison should be made from another point of view. It all started with a shot taken with one of finest lenses available, that is able to outresolve even a 15Mp sensor, but that is not the case that interests most people, I think. I wish I had the money to buy all "L" glass!

I'm pretty sure that making the same comparison using a standard 300$ zoom would completely invert the results, making the SD14 the clear winner. Why?

50D photosite are very small (4.7um pixel pitch) compared to sigma's 7.8um, so the SD14 only needs a lens capable of resolving details of 7.8um, while the 50D needs a lens much finer and expensive. That is true for many bayer camera, Pentax had to release a version 2 of the 18-55 kit lens for the k20d which has 14Mp.

SD14 images will be very sharp with good but affordable lenses, the 50d images will be unacceptably soft.
So, why don't we start over with a comparison using a standard sub-300$ lens?

Regards.

Luca

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow