More about D3x cont.

Started Nov 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
Thom Hogan
Thom Hogan Forum Pro • Posts: 13,660
Re: Unfortunately, reporters are becoming a commodity...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

Exactly. Although it's not really one news organization demanding
this, it's the decreasing pay scales and replacement of "in house"
staff with stringers that's making reporters look for multiple ways
to market the same bit of "news gathering" in order to survive.

Having headed many content organizations I will say with absolute certainty that if you force compromises into your content creation team, you end up with inferior products. The content is NOT the event, it's not the medium. It's the quality of the person(s) creating the content. Having been trained at the Edward R Murrow School of Broadcasting, I can say that Murrow would have been appalled by the notion that you try to save money with the one thing that actually creates your product: people. Having worked with a few great folk, Keith Jackson being one, I had that drummed into me over and over.

It's the Walmarting of society. I wish it wasn't happening, but I see
it every day.

There will always be a least common denominator solution in the market. But it isn't always the most profitable, and it certainly doesn't produce enduring products or solutions. Note that Wal*Mart abandoned one concept (made in America) for another (anything to get the lowest price), and will probably have to abandon a few more along the way.

Since this is a Nikon forum some might think we're off topic, but we're actually dead on. With the pro products, Nikon generally has never compromised their "best technology" design philosophy. (That's not to say that they haven't made a few mistakes along the way, but those were still in pursuit of the "best solution").

But the reporters (the total opposite of "rich") are looking for any
new markets for what they've gathered.

Look through the forums here. There's always some discussion of wedding photography going on, and the prices charged. The very best wedding photographers I know aren't worried. They sell themselves, not any photo they can to any outlet. While there are certainly stringers and freelancers out there that will sell whatever they can to whomever they can (good luck with that in a recession: freelance budgets are the first to go), you'll note that the really good ones have figured out how to make money off their talent, not their stories, photos, or videos. It always amazes me how many don't see that distinction.

Only if you want to be "the best".

Best, done right, is a mostly unassailable position. Mediocre, done with mediocrity, is always vulnerable.

But the game isn't necessarily about "best", but merely about "good
enough".

The minute you start believing that, the game is over.

To any aspiring writer, photographer, videographer, whatever out there reading this, think about this: the best in your business, the person you'd really like to be, is she/he happy and making money? Almost certainly. And did they get there by being "good enough"? No. Think about the company you most admire and whose products you covet. Are they making money? Usually (think Apple and their US$25 billion in cash and no debt). Did they get there by being "good enough"? No. So I ask you to ignore Joseph's pessimism here and instead seek the highest ground you can attain. If you don't like Fox News, put it out of business by creating a better news source ; ).

-- hide signature --

Thom Hogan
author, Complete Guides to Nikon bodies (19 and counting)
http://www.bythom.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mel
Mel
MOD TOF guy
Mel
pvs
Mel
Mel
Mel
Mel
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow