16x20, 5D2 vs. 40D, help please...

Started Nov 16, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADWyatt Regular Member • Posts: 100
16x20, 5D2 vs. 40D, help please...

I was tempted to buy the 50D as an upgrade to my 40D, until I read Phil's review that the 50D image quality was only marginally better than the 40D, and his opinion that the 1.xx mag factor cameras had pretty much maxed out their capabilities.

I'm looking now at a future purchase of the 5DMkII, and it should fit fine with my 'L' lenses. The question is if it will provide good enough quality to justify its price compared to the 40D.

Specifically, I'd like to know how images from these two cameras will compare at 16x20 (I have an Epson 3800, which prints at a maximum of 17x22). I do know that a 12x18 image looks great from the 40D, with extremely fine detail, even though it shouldn't, but 16x20 might be pushing the bar. Considering the viewing distance we might expect from a 16x20 print, will the 5D2 be worth the extra price over a 40D? Of course, I understand the tremendous advantage in terms of cropping and low-light photography that the 5D2 can give, but what's your opinion on print quality of an uncropped print? Thanks for all advice.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow