4/3 has no focal length advantage-correct him if he is wrong

Started Nov 15, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP clevechan Forum Member • Posts: 53
Re: 4/3 has no focal length advantage-correct him if he is wrong

Thank you all for your reply.

It makes me stand taller when I bring my gear and shoot together beside that huge monster gear of his on our next trip.

However, I am still a bit confuse although I know all of you guys are trying to explain the concept to me in different ways.

According to his remark, he emphasized the fact that if I shoot at 200mm max (meaning 400mm equivalent which is not true according to him) with my Olympus 50-200mm and he shoots with 200mm on his D3 at exactly the same spot, the image of the bird we are shooting at is exactly the same size, but his field of view is double mine. If he crops his photo to half the size, it will result in the same bird size, at the same magnification.

Therefore, all he needs is bring along his 200mm, therefore, no weight or size advantages as we Olympians keep bs.ing... ( that is to quote him..)

But from some of the replies, it seems what he says is not true....

Wow..too technical for me..

I will keep shooting with my equipment and stand taller the next time when he tries to intimidate me with his equipment...and shut my ears to his remarks, as I don't understand enough to reply anyway...

At least, I can keep my 520 in jeans pocket when I mount my pancake...that much I know..

Cheers Olympians...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
vor
vor
BJL
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow