Started Nov 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
C Vermillion Regular Member • Posts: 335
Re: DNG doesn't solve that problem

ted w dillard wrote:

No, not directly, of course. I used it as an example of Nikon being
irresponsible in developing a non-backwards compatible new software
package.

Um, sorry but as a software developer I can assure that very few products are ever going to be backward compatible with all previous versions. It's just not sensible. If you need that level of archive (and there are lots of situations where it's necessary), you need to save the application that created the results along with the results. If all you need is the result and you don't have to demonstrate how you got the result for scientific or legal purposes, then just archive the result.

There's no point to backward compatibility further back than one version. If you're truly concerned about your archive, then you either freshen your data when you transition to the new version, or you archive the old version.

However, had my friend used Adobe from that era, either saving the
DNG after rendering, or the maker RAW file with the XMP, he'd be fine.

No, he'd be in the same boat. Back in version 4.3 of ACR the change log stated "Prior to Camera Raw 4.3 there was the possibility that artifacts in edge transitions could be introduced through the Bayer demosaic and luminance noise reductions algorithms. This has been corrected." So you will not get exactly the same image out of 4.3+ that you got from prior versions. You will get a better version, but you do see my point I hope.

Software has bugs that get corrected, and minor/major adjustments to improve the quality. Software evolves and it's unrealistic to expect that saving all your edits in whatever format will make it any more likely that you will be able to get the same result from newer versions of a program that you got from older versions.

-Colleen

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow