Started Nov 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,716
Re: does that mean that

ted w dillard wrote:

Please stop wasting my time.

Chuckle!

Many of the answers to the questions raised here are on my website. In fact, I wrote many of my pages using my responses to similar questions since late 2004.

But my experience over the years is that some people either can't accept that their queries have been asked and answered many times, or else want a sound-bite version of the answer. Unfortunately, my experience is that they then attack the sound-bite version because it doesn't contain enough detail!

Some people simply can't accept that DNG really does the sort of things being claimed for it. They seek a conspiracy. They accuse people who describe DNG as being in the pay of Adobe. (Please Adobe - pay me lots of money!)

But what they typically DON'T do is apply exactly the same scepticism to NEF and CR2; to Nikon and Canon. Part of the reason is probably that people got used to the secrecy of Nikon and Canon, and assumed that was how life is, then Adobe comes along and say "there is a better way". How dare they say that about people favourite camera manufacturers!

Another part of the reason is probably that Adobe is open with the nature of DNG, which makes it easier to attack it. Those of us who have used various tools to look inside NEFs and CR2s know that they don't have magic ingredients, and in fact are typically subsets of the corresponding DNGs. (DNGs has 20 or 30 extra tags to make them self-contained). But Nikon, especially, try to maintain a mystique that NEF somehow caters for the technology of their cameras in ways that nothing else can.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow