Started Nov 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 8,717
Re: Won't matter ...

echelon2004 wrote:

Ah, but counting you, Ted and A couple more in this thread, that's
the total number of persons I know of that use, or at least favor,
DNG (I know nothing about you as a photographer).

Here are a couple of searches that will introduce you to the wider popularity of DNG:
http://search.dpreview.com/index.php?q=DNG&sort=Date
http://www.google.co.uk/blogsearch?as_q=DNG+RAW

I have been using searches like these for years, and I have seen a gradual change in the "DNG climate". When I joined DPReview in September 2005, relatively few people (here or elsewhere) had heard of DNG, and a significant proportion of those spread misinformation or "fear, uncertainty, doubt" about it.

Gradually more people learned about it, and many started to use it for various reasons. Some forums here became "pro-DNG", and treated it as part of the world of digital photography to be used as required. Others, including Canon and Nikon forums, especially Nikon, remained mostly anti-DNG.

In parallel with this, more and more products supported DNG in some way. Nearly all significant 3rd-party raw converters accept DNG files (Bibble being one exception although it accepts out-of-camera DNGs). It is pretty well a tick-list item - to be credible, a 3rd-party software product will typically support DNG.

Nowadays, even in Canon and Nikon forums there are people being positive about DNG. There are only a handful of people who are systematically opposed to DNG, and they find it harder all the time to identify plausible reasons for opposing it.

Many people decide it isn't for them without being opposed to it in principle. That is a reasonable position - a significant proportion of photographers still use products that don't accept DNG, such as camera makers' software, and others have a workflow that DNG doesn't easily fit into. What matters is that many of those people accept that other photographers are different and can benefit from DNG, so they don't adopt an attitude that other people shouldn't use it.

The trend is inexorable. There is no sinister Adobe conspiracy - common interfaces and standards open up industries and benefit the consumers, and people know that. People like to be able to-mix-n-match their system components without being dictated to by companies that would prefer to sell packages (eg. camera + software). This helps the industry expand, and the competition drives prices down. It helps innovation - some innovative camera makers use DNG from the start to give their users access to vast amounts of 3rd-party products. It is an easy starting point for innovative software products.

And DNG is the ONLY raw file format at the moment that is suitable for true archiving. That gives confidence to many people who are suspicious of camera makers who prefer to use undocumented raw file formats that are not self-contained and so need to be supplemented by camera details learned the hard way.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow