Call for DNG support from camera manufacturers Locked

Started Nov 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Barry Pearson
Barry Pearson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,693
Re: orphans and raws

cityphotographer wrote:

now Adobe uses the raws to sell the upgrades (they did it with the
D2x first -and Nikon responded hiding the WB , and it was a "sign")
and they did it again with the 5D Mark II

That statement is incorrect for various reasons:

• Most upgrades to ACR work for the (then) current version of Photoshop. (CS had 4 upgrades of ACR after the release version, CS2 had 7, CS3 had 6, all plus intermediate beta versions).

• Adobe CHOSE to launch DNG, and it enables photographers with new cameras to stick with CS. Well over 150 camera models launched since CS2 came out can have their raw images processed using ACR 2.4 and CS. Adobe haven't tried to hide that fact.

• Adobe themselves supply alternatives to Photoshop+ACR for raw conversion: Lightroom and Elements.

Why mention the D2X? It was supported in 3.1, so you ignored all the 2.x upgrades which supported other camera models. At least 4 cameras (including the Canon 350D) were first supported with 3.1.

The fact is that Adobe depends on the manufacturer's code. When Nikon
did the trick with the WB they got worried. Really worried. Nikon and
Canon can put them in troubles any time. Maybe (and I repeat maybe)
because Adobe doesn't share the money they get when Canon and Nikon
introduce a new model?)

It is Canon and Nikon that cause the upgrades to ACR and other raw converters to be needed. Canon and Nikon could, with immediate effect, ensure that their new cameras would work with old versions of ACR, Lightroom, etc.

It is Canon and Nikon who are in control of this misery being forced upon many photographers.

Don't Nikon SELL their upmarket raw conversion software?

What is this "manufacturer's code" that you claim Adobe depends on?

once they'll have their standard they'll have to find another way to
sell the upgrades (obviously,and that's out of the question because
they have to make money every day).

Adobe's business model CAN'T rely on new camera models to sell upgrades to Photoshop! Adobe supply DNG which enables photographers to avoid upgrades, and Canon and Nikon could also avoid the need for upgrades. Adobe have no control of this situation.

Another situation that Adobe are aware of is Microsoft's JPEG XR initiative, which is likely to cause many photographers not to use raw in future, if the camera makers use it. Once again, Adobe can't dictate what photographers and camera makers will do, but have to adapt and compete. THAT is the real Adobe business model.

You appear to be over-estimating the proportion of upgrades of Photoshop that are triggered by new camera models.

For example, I'm an amateur who has used DNG for over 4 years, so I don't need to take upgrades to support my new cameras (which anyway have a DNG option!) Yet I have taken all Photoshop upgrades during that time. And all versions of Lightroom. I upgrade because the new versions are worth the money to me.

There are perhaps 50 or so other raw converters out there that can be used instead of ACR or Lightroom. They range from free to major and respectable professional-class products. Many photographers use a not-Adobe raw converter then use Photoshop. (Many users of Photoshop are not photographers, and many photographers using Photoshop shoot JPEG not raw).

Anyone who wants to avoid upgrading software (Adobe software or otherwise) when new camera models appear needs to sign the petition to request Canon and Nikon to use DNG as an option - it is precisely what those photographers need.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Pentax K-3 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow