Call for DNG support from camera manufacturers Locked

Started Nov 8, 2008 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Eric Chan Senior Member • Posts: 2,800
Re: Won't matter ...

Sure, sometimes the only support is in form av a DNG converter, but
nevertheless you must have support for the native file.

This is not true. For example, Camera Raw 2.4 was released a long time ago (with Photoshop CS), long before cameras announced and shipped a couple of months ago, like the Nikon D90. Adobe had no idea back when ACR 2.4 was developed (2004?) that Nikon would be releasing a D90 in 2008. Hence, ACR 2.4 has no native raw format support for the D90. However, it can still process D90 raw files that have been converted to the DNG container. The same is true of other recent cameras, like the Canon EOS 50D.

I might care about DNG the day I use a piece of software that
supports the DNG version before the native raw format. That hasn't
happened yet.

This may not apply to you (I'm not sure which raw software you normally use), but there are DNG readers (both Adobe-created and non-Adobe software) that do process DNGs before native raw format support is added to that software. Silkypix and Capture One are examples of non-Adobe DNG readers. For example, recent Pentax cameras shoot both PEF and DNG formats. The current version of Capture One doesn't yet have support for the new Pentax K2000 (a.k.a. Pentax K-m)'s PEF files, but it can process its DNG files.

Either way I find it absolutely unlikely that any of the serious
companies will drop support for a format previously supported. Why
spend time and money on removing a few lines of code? It's not as if
they streamline the code as it is ...

That depends on how large of a time window you care about. I agree with you that if you are thinking about the next 5 or 10 years, it's highly unlikely that Canon, Nikon, etc. will drop raw processing support for, say, today's 50D / D90 or yesterday's 30D / D70.

On the other hand, folks who got started with digital early have already seen a then-serious company's raw files lose support from the manufacturer. (Kodak was the big player in the early days.)

In any case, I respect your opinions, and constructive criticism of DNG is welcome, but I must confess to being surprised by the level of animosity being shown towards DNG. Please keep in mind that DNG is a really just a set of TIFF extensions at its core and is compatible with both the TIFF 6.0 standard and TIFF/EP draft. A draft has been handed to the TIFF/EP working group for review.

Cheers,
Eric

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow