LX3 - preset street shooter ala Oly c5050?

Started Nov 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
keats1964 Junior Member • Posts: 32
LX3 - preset street shooter ala Oly c5050?

I posted this to another thread regarding use of the external viewfinder, but realized it would be most likely addressed as it's own thread.

Anyone out there have experience with the Oly c5050/6060/7070 and "My Mode" setups, and if the LX3 has similar functionality?

Original post...

mcheng wrote:

Using manual focus (hyper-focal distance), LCD off, 24mm, dynamic
B&W, the LX-3 is wonderful to shoot with.

This is exactly what I'm considering doing, but I have many questions...

Can you pre-program various settings, and will the LX3 remember those settings when turning off and on? Or do you have to manually set the aperture, focal length, and hyper-focal distance (at the least) every time you turn on the camera?

I currently use my Oly c5050 this way. I have "My Mode" setups that I can access with one programed button and a scroll wheel as follows (ALL PRESET!):

• Shooting mode: Program, AP, SP, Manual, or Various scene modes

• Aperture preset: in AP and Manual modes

• FOCUS MODE: THIS IS KEY - In Manual Focus, I can preset the distance to the hyper-focal distance at the preset focal length and aperture.

• REVIEW MODE: One of the most useful presets when shooting manually is to have the image review with each exposure with the accompanying HISTOGRAM!!!

• Shutter preset: in SP and Manual modes

• Exposure compensation: in all but Manual mode

• ISO

• Memory card: c5050 has both xD and CF cards (wouldn't apply to LX3)

• LCD: on or off

• Focal length: 35, 55, 80, 105 (LX3 - 24mm, others as presets????)

• Flash mode: all the usaul options

• Flash compensation: (Can you believe it!)

• Metering mode

AND ON AND ON

The c5050 is five years old, and I still love this camera. So why do I want something new?

FIRST, IT HAS TO BE A PROGRAMMABLE HYPER-FOCAL DISTANCE STREET SHOOTER LIKE THE C5050, AND...
1. Lower noise in a pocket camera - YES FOR THE LX3

2. Faster response - shutter lag can be frustrating - LX3?????????????????????????
3. Wider lens - YES FOR THE LX3 - 24mm, F2 LEICA GLASS!!!
4. RAW buffer - LX3?????????????????????????????

I have a Fuji f30, but it's nowhere near the photographer's manual shooting experince of the c5050.

Can the LX3 be up to the task?

Thanks,
Warren

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow