New D90 owner! :-)

Started Nov 6, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jondow Junior Member • Posts: 47
New D90 owner! :-)

Hi all,

As you can see from my threads in this forum, I've had mixed feelings about the D90 starting from its review which got me really down about it, but then changing my mind again after reading various alternative viewpoints to the review.

My choice was between the D80+16-85 or the D90+18-105. After much fretting and indecision, I finally decided on the D90 mostly because I felt that as time passed, it would be easier to get my domestic purchasing dept to ok a lens upgrade than a camera upgrade. So I figured best get the more current camera body, and the lenses will follow in time.

Anyway, I picked up my camera on Saturday, and have had a little time to play with it. I'm new to digital photography, having been an avid 35mm photographer, with a much-loved F100. Nevertheless, so far the D90 is an absolute pleasure. I say that with the caveat that I still have much to learn, and so my enjoyment is more the improved experience that it is over film. I was blown away by the quality of some ISO 3200 pictures I took. Those of you who come from 35mm film, will know that anything above 400 was not really that usable.

I'm also going through Capture NX2 slowly but surely, but there too, so much to learn, so little brain. But I'll hopefully be posting some images in the near future. This post is mainly to encourage those who are teetering on the decision, and not sure about the D90. The 3" screen is a pleasure, the menus are very intuitive and easy to learn. The focus points are quite intelligent. The ADR is also really useful. I'm sure I would have been equally pleased with the D80, so I'm not dissing that, but I'm really pleased with my purchase, and have no issues like hot pixels (at least none noticeable) or weird camera errors whatsoever to report.

later,
Darryl

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow