D700 vs 5DII vs A900

Started Nov 4, 2008 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
harold1968
harold1968 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
D700 vs 5DII vs A900

Guys/Gals give me your comments on this often thought and much debated topic.

I want to buy a FF camera, lets not debate that for the moment
I am not rich and will probably get one quality lens.

I currently have Canon APS-C stock. I have no beef with Canon but upgrading to FF will require new lenses which means I might as well consider all the options.

I will be taking hand-held indoor pictures in low-light, as well as landscapes. Don't really care about sports/birding type pictures.

All these cameras seem to be excellent (reviews on 5DII still to come, however as it is based on 1DsIII sensor I am not worried about IQ).

I would like to have IS/VR as it will give me more flexibility with exposure options in low light.

I would probably get these combinations:
1. Nikon D700 with 105mmVR
2. Canon 5DII with 24-105mm (I have 50mm Canon already)
3. Sony A900 with 28-70mm Tamron or Sony 135mm

D700 is king of low noise but not sure that this makes a mass of difference with 5DII even if 1 stop difference.

I would prefer more mega-pixels but don't think that 12mp will restrict me too much.

I really can't make a decision. my budget is £2,000.

I am tempted to go with Nikon as the quality (camera and IQ) is proven. But feel the Canon will be a better overall package for me, but at least £300 more (although bizarrely cheaper in the USA).

I like the fact that the sony has in-built IS, but I think it is over-priced. I could wait until it comes down to £1,500, which i am sure it will after new year.

What do you guys think ?

harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow