Night parade flash tips

Started Oct 28, 2008 | Discussions thread
arammc Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: Night parade flash tips

The omni bounce can soften light a little bit, but if you point it up and there is nothing above/behind you to bounce the light off its wasting most of the light and the effect is minimal.

I use the omni bounce alot but usually indoors. (Its the size of the light source that matters most, although the omni bouce sends light in a wider spread allowing it to bounce off more stuff, slightly softer). If you got nothing to bounce off I would consider pointing the flash straight ahead with the omni on.

For night stuff/ indoor stuff with canon I generally use manual mode on the camera, set a f stop and shutterspeed and let the flash fill in automatically with the "ettl" mode. I don't know how well the streets are lit but f4 iso 800 and about 1/60 might be a good place to start. You might get some interesting "ghosting" if things are moving fast and you slow down the shutter more.. Do some test shots to see how it works and make sure the background light is coming through.

Just my 2 cents

-aram

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow