Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G: Replacement for the 24 TS-E?

Started Oct 25, 2008 | Discussions thread
OP cbnphoto New Member • Posts: 17
Re: OK, here is an Example

wimg wrote:

The right one is the TS-E. The lines are slightly less converging;
actually only the right corner is, while the two other corners are
parallel, and the picture shows more detail, even though contrast is
slightly less towards the top part of the tower.

One picture does not show more detail than the other. Both were resized to far less than their original sizes, so given their current resolution on that web page there is no more detail to be had from either picture.

Both display very slight convergence - it is barrel distortion and has nothing to do with the shifting or not shifting. As I said, the 17-40 shows slightly more because it is optically not corrected as much as the TS-E (bearing in mind that correcting it in software is a "no brainer" whereas correcting the barrel distortion from the TS-E would be a nightmare unless you knew exactly how much it was shifted by).

Because cropping is "shifting" at the image side of things, while a
proper shift means changing the position of the optical axis.

Sigh. It's a mechanical crop. There is nothing more to it than that. By what you have written you seem to not be able to see the principle on which a shift lens works. Yes you move the optical axis - no-one is denying that. However that is the same as cropping from a larger image circle . Exactly the same. No ifs, no buts. That's what a shift lens does mechanically.

I think the images demonstrate clearly that the result is the same (the only difference being the minor differences due to the slightly different barrel distortion on each lens). There are none of the things you claimed in your last posting. Nor does it require "pointing the camera at the ground" as you suggested.This is a false assumption and I have a sneaking suspicion that you have based your remark on the optical illusion one gets from shooting architecture with extreme shift whereby buildings appear to be wider at the top and appear to have diverging sides towards the top - exactly what you would get by pointing a lens downwards.

Nice pictures, BTW! I just love these old churches.

Yes they are nice aren't they. They also make useful test subjects - as in this case!

I think it really depends on what you want to do or prefer.

Of course it does. So you are willing to now state that I am not "wrong"? Good. I'll take that as a "yes"!

I have not posted the originals yet as I am not at home. However, I can reveal the following:

• the TS-E was shifted by about 7mm in order to give the same "shifting" that a 17mm lens gives. 7mm is the first step into the red ("best not to use this amount of shift") zone.

• colour fringing is the same in each picture when resized to the same size. Given that the 17-40 is not very good and produces a small image that's pretty damning for the 24TS-E. As the Nikon 14-24 displays very little colour fringing I would expect it to bury the TS-E (as previously stated).

• the crop from the original 17-40 21MP image produces a 9.8MP image; perfectly acceptable (and about the same as a TS-E image from a 1Ds Mk I)

• the TS-E displays more focus distortion in the extreme shifted part of the image. Again - given that the 17-40 is not a good WA lens, that's pretty damning on the TS-E.

• the Nikon 14-24 would not only be able to replicate the full shift of the TS-E (11mm) but could give an equivalent shift of nearly 13mm at 14mm FL. Given the low colour fringing and excellent sharpness, it sounds like it would be a much better solution (the only downside being less resolution in the final image - I make it about 7MP, which is still good enough for magazine size images).

• It's a shame Canon don't revamp their entire WA line-up - then we wouldn't have to look at using adapted 3rd party lenses... sigh.

I'll update the web page with full results soon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow