New XSI and fall in Illinois

Started Oct 18, 2008 | Discussions thread
imqqmi Veteran Member • Posts: 8,647
Re: Image with no sharpening in Post Prossessing

Good attempt, composition looks good to me.

The first thing when I saw your photo wasn't oversharpened but rather what difficult light you've shot this image in I'd suggest returning there in all kinds of different light. Early morning, sunset, after sunset with a tripod and using the timer etc. Or when fog sets in, snow, frost etc.

The second thought was that it seems jagged, even discontinuous lines which points at the resize algorithm used namely nearest neighbor. It's the fastest and simplest way to down or upsize an image by removing or copying certain pixels. What you need is interpolation like bicubic, lanczos or bilnear, it's much smoother and more natural. It applies a low pass filter so you'll need to slightly sharpen it afterwards with the suggested usm 300, 0.3, 0 or something similar.

Try a different application if you don't have the option in your current editor. I often use Irfan view for quick resizing and sharpening. I use the Lanczos filter most often. It is free and can do a whole bunch of useful stuff more.

Dan Russell wrote:

Thank you all for your comments. I am paying attention to them and
trying to apply your suggestions. Although this image doesn't have
any PP sharpening, I did notice that when I downsized it the leaves
at the left suddenly became more jagged. I also noticed a few other
artifacts appear especially in the water when I downsized it.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Imqqmi

http://www.pbase.com/imqqmi

imqqmi's gear list:imqqmi's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow